Choosing the Best Generator System for Your Needs
When it comes to back up power during electricity outage, the best option is still a generator. It is definitely the best power system that can provide you with electricity during disasters, unannounced power outages and the likes. Whether you are planning to buy a generator for your home or for your office, you should invest in something which is reliable. As an ordinary homeowner and even a business owner, knowing which is the best generator is probably not your specialty. Here at Generator Power Source we will help you make that more intelligent decision in looking for the best Portable, Home & Diesel generator that suits your needs.
Just an overview of what is commonly known as a generator. Technically it is called an “electricity generator” wherein the device converts mechanical energy to electrical energy. The most common types of generators that are available in the market today and the most patronized by both home owners and business owners are portable generators, home generators and diesel generators. Those viewing on a mobile device may want to rotate device to a horizontal position to see the full comparison chart below.
Jump To> Top Five Generators
|Yamaha EF2000iS 2,000||4.6||Portable||2,000||$$$||Review|
|Champion Power ||4.5||Portable||3,000||$$$||Review|
|DuroMax XP4400E ||4.1||Portable/Home||3,500||$$||Review|
|Pro-Series Diesel Portable ||3.1||Diesel||5,500||$$$||Review|
Types of Generators
Portable Generators are usually small, compact generators which you can take with you during travel. The usual wattage for these types of generators are 5000 watts which can power different small to medium sized appliances for about 8 hours. The most common way of using portable generators are through extension cords through a window. You can only plug 1 or 2 items in a small portable generator. Portable generators are used during power outages and also during camping out.
Home Generators are usually standby generators found at the basement. They function as emergency standby generators when there is power outage. Home generators should have the capacity to supply electricity to the majority of the house, not just a few circuits. Bigger home generators can be installed outside the house where there is automatic transfer switch if the main electricity goes out. It can run on natural gas, propane or diesel. State of the art home generators will automatically kick in when the power goes out. There will probably be a 15-20 second delay for the generator to respond.
Diesel Engine Generators are designed for a small to medium sized business establishments. It is designed for heavy usage. There are two types: two stroke and four stroke diesel generators. Most diesel generators patronized by business owners are 4-stroke generators. It also comes in either single or three phase power. The modern diesel generators are now generally quieter than the older versions.
These three types of generators are the most commonly purchased, used and highly rated by both the ordinary homeowner and the small-medium sized owner. The portable generator is best for you if you want to travel and have electricity ready for your camping needs or if you are okay with powering a couple of lights in your house during a power outage. The home generator is best for you if you have the budget to provide electricity to a medium sized house during power outages. It is best for homes since it can automatically provide electricity to your home the moment to power goes out. If you have a big house or a business that needs uninterrupted power supply, the diesel engine is best for you.
Which among them is the best for you to purchase? Here are more factors to consider before investing in a generator system:
Generator Purchasing Factors
- Power Output = rated watts can be as low as 5kW which can provide power to multiple “survival appliances” to 30 kW which can power a mid-sized to large home or business. What will you use the power for? Decide according to what your needs are. The common emergency backup power should be able to provide 10kW.
- Run Time = How long do you need the generator running? Is 8 hours enough or do you need the generator running at least 24 hours. Generator fuel consumption matters.
- Price = Price is a very big factor in deciding which generator to purchase. Most homeowners who need a backup power purchase portable generators instead of a home generator because of the budget. Although this is a common practice, portable generator sets will only be able to provide a few basic appliances electricity. Investing in a generator system can go for as low as $500 and as high as $2500. Of course you can buy a cheap generator on sale, but is it worth it? Usually not, as these are Chinese made generators which haven’t been built as robust as say a Yamaha, Honda or Westinghouse.
- Noise = you wouldn’t want a noisy generator set around the house when there is power outage. Diesel generators tend to be noisier than other types of generator but are more reliable when in terms of giving uninterrupted power. You should consider where you will place your generator system which will not make your neighbors hate you for noise pollution.
- Portability = Will you use your generator outdoors or will you just need it as a standby power supply at home? If you want something that is portable, you should be contented with the basic generator that can supply electricity for “survival” appliances.
- Reliability = Of course in investing a couple of hundreds of dollars, you have to be sure that the product you are buying is of quality. Some generators which may be cheaper because they are made in China can perform well in about 3 months to a year but can you rely on these cheaply manufactured generator systems for 5 years or more. You do not want your house burning up because of a generator set which is substandard. When it comes to which factor is most important to consider, it is the reliability of your gen set and not the price, not just because you want a quality product but because you want your home and business to be safe from hazards. So, do not purchase substandard generators which are unreliable in the long run.
Choosing the best generator set for your home or business totally depends on your preference, budget and need. Do not shorthand yourself when purchasing something which you think is essential for your home or business. Let Generator Power Source help you make the more intelligent investment!
Top Five Generators for the Money
When investing on an equipment that you are not familiar with, you have to ask around about what the product has in its features, which is the product best suited for, and of course the price. In the case of generator sets, you also have to do a lot of thinking, asking and reading reviews. Do not just buy the first generator that you will see. Here is how we can help you out. We have listed top five generators which are a bang for the buck.
Purchasing a generator set does not just involve price though. You have to consider a lot of things like run time (how long can a generator run on a full tank), noise (how quiet or how noisy can your generator set go), weight or portability (how bulky or light weight is the unit and how you can easily transport it), warranty and more. You have to think about all these things to make an intelligent decision before purchasing a machine that costs at least $800 or as much as $2000.
Here are the Top 5 Generator Sets which are value for money:
The number 1 spot goes to the DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit And Electric Start. This is definitely a good buy. This is the most affordable generator set in the market. If you plan to move it around the house, place outside the garden or transport to a camping site this generator set is for you. The size is just perfect for portability, the price is definitely its most influential purchase factor.
- Light Weight
- User friendly operation
- Electric Key Start
Who should buy the DuroMax? It is recommended for people who are tight in their budget but still need a solid standby generator set for their home or small business. Instead of buying the more expensive generator sets, try out this gen set which is affordable, portable and yet reliable. Read Our Full DuroMax Review⇒
The number Yamaha EF2000iS 2,000 Watt 79cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator gets the 2nd spot because of its portability. Although it won’t give you that much wattage, it is definitely the most portable choice.
- Ultra Light weight
- TwinTech technology
- Noise Reduction
- Fuel Efficient
- User friendly operation
Who should buy the Yamaha? It is recommended for people who are always on the go. It is good for people who love the outdoors but at the same time need survival appliances. This is good for camping and other outdoor activities such as tailgating. Read Our Full Yamaha Review Here⇒
The Pro-Series GENSD7 7,000 Watt 9 HP 418 CC is the top rated diesel generator system because it is one of the most affordable diesel set on the market. Although still expensive as compared to gas powered generators, this is a top rated diesel generator because of the power it can supply. Construction sites would benefit greatly from a generator set like this
- Heavy Duty Built
- Power Supply
- Easy operation
- EPA Approved
Who should buy the Pro Series? It is recommended for people who have construction sites, small businesses which need 24/7 electricity, and big homes which power large appliances. It is really not advisable to transport it from one place to another because of the size and weight but it is recommended as standby generator set for power outages. Read Our Full Pro Series Review Here⇒
The Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator takes the number 4 spot because of its run time. Westinghouse generator sets can run up to 14 hours on a full tank. Under a 50% load the Westinghouse can provide up to 12 hours of continuous power supply.
- 12 hour run time
- Quiet Operation
- 4 outlets for use
- 3 year warranty
- Electrical overload protection
Who should buy Westinghouse? It is recommended for people who need a standby generator at home. It is one of the best generator systems which are best for home. It can be installed under the basement, a shed outside the house, or can be placed in the garden during power outages. If you do not know much about generator sets this is recommended for you since it can be easily operated. Read Our Full Westinghouse Review⇒
The Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator holds the number 5 spot in our top rated value for money generators. It is top rated because it is super quiet. Although it doesn’t do so well in terms of runtime and power wattage supply, it is still a value for money and should be a good investment. It is also one of the generator sets which is easy to transport because of its weight and design.
- Quiet Operation
- Light wieght
- 2 year warranty
- Inverter Technology for economy mode
- User friendly
Who should buy Champion Power? It actually is an overall generator set which is recommended for people who need a standby generator at home but at the same time need to transfer the unit from one place to another. It can easily be transported. If you are very particular about the noise, this generator set is best for you. Read Our Full Champion Power Review Here⇒
In order for you to make an intelligent decision in investing for a backup generator set, you have to consider a lot of factors before the purchase. Make sure you ask around, read through our thorough reviews before making a decision.